I made homemade, no sugar added apple butter today. Stuck it in the crock-pot last night, blended it this morning, cooked off some excess liquid, and then got to canning. I have never canned anything, so this is quite the experiment. I don't have any professional canning equipment, so I did a boiling water bath. Apparently you have to let them boiled cans sit for 8-12 hours and hope the seal holds. If it doesn't, I may have some extra apple butter to give away (if not canned, it only lasts in the refrigerator for 3 weeks)!
My "canner"
Yay for yummy apple butter!



oh man, i love me some apple butter! thats one thing santa brings for xmas and we import. give the recipe, bitte!
ReplyDeleteThis is the recipe I used, except I added a bit more apple juice and consequently had to cook it down a bit in a pot on the stove at the end to get it to thicken up! Hope you can find all the ingredients Chippers!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2010/09/healthy-homemade-apple-butter/
I am SO impressed, Liz. You are so cool with your garden and now homemade apple butter. I wish I was more like you.
ReplyDeleteNow if you need a lesson in making jelly....plum or blackberry or blueberry or strawberry.....just let me know.....we can do that!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy to see you are doing this....what a little homemaker!!