Spring

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Just a small town girl.

Conway, Arkansas: home of the Wampus Cats, site of the famous “Toad Suck Daze” festival, and hometown of THE American Idol, Kris Allen.  But, even with these huge attractions, Conway still has the feel of “small town” America.

After a few years in Washington, I’d almost forgotten what small town life is like (and I use “small town” liberally… Conway’s population is around 55,000). The people are friendly and accommodating (people were arguing to go second in the redbox line). Every storefront has a sign praising our hometown hero (we truly are proud)!  And, in a true sign of small town life, my best friend’s mom brought over her famous butterfinger cake last night while we weren’t home, and found her way in and put it on the counter.  I love it.

Conway is making amazing strides. There are great new restaurants and shops popping up everywhere, the high school has gotten a makeover, and well, again, we have Kris Allen.  We also apparently have a new marketing department. In the last two months, Conway, Arkansas has acquired an official logo. I suppose it’s a part of the beautification of downtown to go with those “We heart Kris Allen” signs on every lamppost. Unfortunately it’s not advanced enough to be online so that I can post it, but it’s a green sign with a lighter green “C.” I just don’t know what I think about it. 

It’s been a relaxing day and good for my soul.  What more could a small town girl ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment