Spring

Thursday, June 11, 2009

The tortoise.

Slow. It’s hard to get used to. From a lifetime lived in the United States, I’ve become accustomed to fast, immediate, now.  It is, therefore, excruciating to live somewhere that time has much less meaning. Don’t misunderstand me, this country sticks to a schedule. The people go to work at 7am and stay until around 5pm. But everything is much more fluid in-between. We have a meeting at 10am? Maybe it’ll start around 10:30. We ordered our food 40 minutes ago? Ehh, it’ll come. TIA.

Most painful for me is the speed of connectivity. I hate being like this, truly I do, but it’s going to drive me mad. I waited (to no avail) for this blog to load for nearly 20 minutes earlier. I’ve been trying to create a yahoo.fr account for the initiative and it’s not only running slowly, but it’s all in francais. An error page in francais is not always the easiest thing to decipher, especially when it takes 5 minutes to load.

I have finally completed blackberry detox, but internet detox is a whole other story. Will I survive? Probably so, but only because this internet café has delicious coffee to distract me.

Some pictures of my time here to distract you (they're small because, well, there's absolutely no way this would upload a big picture ever):

View of my house and surrounding areas:

Another view from above house (to the left):

A man carrying live chickens (just because it made me smile):

No comments:

Post a Comment